Tuesday, October 25, 2016

It's Just a Tuesday, Part 1



Sometimes I feel like I’m going to start all my posts in tears, or because of tears.  I’m not used to feeling so helpless, so powerless, so trapped.  Last night my cell phone was inactivated because of lack of verification.  Chris got me my SIM card, so I could have a phone here.  I have to have one.  I need to call my driver.  I need to answer texts about the kids schools.  I have to be able to reach people or I risk being completely stranded alone in India, or alone with my kids in India.  This is not the India of the movies.  This is dirt roads and wandering cows and horses and goats and wild dogs and cats and snakes.  It’s men who glare at me and women who stare at me.



The phone is in Chris’ name.  I can’t get one yet, not in my name.  I think I need my Foreign Registration before I can get one.  I worry I may not be able to get one at all because I’m on a dependent Visa.  To get the phone, Chris has to give them copies of his passport, his Indian Visa, his Foreigner Registration, and a passport sized photo (or four).  He gives them all these things, and then a week or so after the phone is active they do a “Welcome Visit.”  Or they say they do.  When they don’t, they text you saying to call this number to schedule your welcome visit.  When you call that number, it says the phone is switched off, try again later.  So you try a few times and give up. Oh well.  Um, not oh well.  Suddenly you cannot make outgoing calls and your data is turned off.  So you can’t call your driver when he disappears when you’ve dropped the kids off, or after he’s dropped you at a shop.  That’s when you realize that you’re in a foreign country where everyone speaks just enough English to not understand you and not be understood,  your husband is away on business on another continent (it’s OK, you can’t reach him anyhow), and you feel completely lost. 

So, I dropped the kids off at school and went home, and the driver asked to go to lunch.  I told him I needed to go back out in 50 minutes and he needed to be back.  He kept telling me to call him.  I kept telling him my phone didn’t work and he needed to be back.  At the mercy of an Indian man I only met yesterday who hardly speaks any English. 


I went inside, hung some laundry to dry,  folded some laundry, realized Danesh was not coming today, tidied up a bit and hoped he’d come back.  When he did, I asked Baru to take me to the Vodafone store because my phone wasn’t working, so off we went.

At Vodafone, first we were told, no problem, sir comes in Saturday for verification and all is OK.  No sir.  I have 3 small children and need to be able to reach people and be reached.  I’m told to step aside, sit down.  Baru sits with me a bit, then hovers.  So I hover.  But frustratingly, after 25 minutes, I’ve started to cry.  Silently, hoping no one notices, feeling helpless and ignored.  We finally get a woman to help me, but she has no power whatsoever, but spends 25 minutes sending emails (in painfully slow English using autocorrect  to correct message when she can’t spell it-resulting in massage, struggling with receive so long that she chooses another word, while I’m just dying to spell it all for her), and calling Jain sir who doesn’t answer his phone.  When he does finally call her back, there is not enough signal for the call (we’re in the Vodafone store), so she borrows a phone off a co-worker.  There are no land lines.  She tried and tried and eventually I’m told that in 2 hours I can restart my phone an it’ll work.  I am not holding my breath!





No comments:

Post a Comment