Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A Picture is Worth 1000 Words (or 50 rupees)


There is a large slum within a mile of my home.  I am fascinated by it.  It's right by my bank (actually right next door).  Whenever I drive by, I see very small children playing happily in the dirt, with the dogs roaming and the teenagers gathered in groups, women cooking or washing, and men lounging.  There are cows or bulls or camels.  One day I asked my driver to stop so I could get out and take some pictures.  I was quickly approached by two men wanting to know what I was doing.  I asked if I could photograph the cows.  He seemed to agree and tried to draw me into the slum.  So I walked over the rocks and rubble, making Sushil very nervous.  A toothless man then approached me to ask what I was doing.  He gave me permission to photograph some bulls, but the atmosphere was growing tense.  I took my photos, showed them to the toothless man, then went back to the car.  I asked Sushil to pull forward another 30 metres because I spotted the above bull and wanted a picture.  This time I did not get out of the car.  I saw the men approaching quickly again, so snapped my pictures.  At that point, they rushed the car window, the tough one explaining that it was his bull and I needed to give him money for food.  I decided it wasn't worth a fight, especially if I wanted to ever come back, So handed him 50 rupees for the animal's "feed."  I know it won't feed the bull, or even the children.  But I think 50 rupees got me a very nice photograph that I have enlarged and hung in my home.

I can't decide which one I like best, the edited photo above or the raw one below.  What do you think?



1 comment: